Kushtia, Kushtia district or Kushtia Zilla is a district in the Khulna administrative division of western Bangladesh. Kushtia has existed as a separate district since the partition of India. Prior to that, Kushtia was a part of Nadia District under Bengal Province of British India. Kushtia was home of many famous people, especially authors and poets. Present day Kushtia is known for the Islamic University, Shilaidaha Kuthibari and Lalon's shrine.
Shilaidaha Kuthibari, the famous residence of Rabindranath Tagore in Kushtia, is a popular tourist destination
The Shahi Mosque in Kushtia bears the sign of rich cultural heritage of the region from Mughal period. Kushtia is the birthplace of many historical figures including Mir Mosharraf Hossain (1847-1912) and Bagha Jatin (1879-1915). King of Bauls, Lalon Fakir (1774-1890), also hailed from this district and his shrine, reconstructed in 1963, still attracts many people from home and abroad. Nobel laureate poet Rabindranath Tagore lived a part of his life at Shelaidaha in this district and created some of his memorable poems while living there. However, during the British rule Kushtia was not a separate district – it was a part of a part of the Nadia district (now in West Bengal) of undivided India. Kushtia was once a part of the Nadia district (now in West Bengal) of undivided India. A municipality was established in Kushtia in 1869. Hamilton's Gazetteer has the mention of Kushtia (Kustee) town and of the fact that the local people called the town Kushtay (Kushte).
Kushtia, however, is not an ancient township. A river port was developed in the district during the reign of Emperor Shahjahan. Although the British East India Company made extensive use of the port, it was not until indigo planters and traders settled that the township began to grow. A railway connection with Kolkata, capital of British India, made in 1860, made the town an alluring location for mills and factories, including the Jagneshwar Engineering Works (1896), Renwick and Company (1904), and the Mohini Mills (1919).
In 1860, the Indigo Resistance Movement spread throughout the Bengal province. Shalghar Madhua in Kushtia district was one of the forerunners in this movement. It inspired all indigo farmers in Kushtia to refrain from paying government taxes. The British government deployed an army platoon under the command of GG Morrison, to investigate into the matter. After negotiating with the farmers Morrison convinced the farmers to restart payment of taxes. Subsequently, with the publication of the Indigo Commission Report an Act was passed prohibiting coercion of cultivators for indigo cultivation and the measure led to the end of the movement.
During the Partition of India, Kushtia was made a separate district, consisting of Kushtia Sôdor, Chuadanga and Meherpur subdivisions, in 1947. The town once again became attractive for development with the establishment of the Ganges-Kobadak Project (also known as G-K Project) headquarters and a number of government offices in 1954. GK Project is a large surface irrigation system which was started in 1954, though the first corp under this project was not grown until 1962-63. The whole project was divided into two units, the Kushtia Unit and the Jessore Unit. The Kushtia unit completed in two parts, Phase-I and Phase-II. Phase-I had a command area of 85,020 ha, of which 48,700 ha are irrigable. Phase-II had a command area of 117,814 ha, of which 93,300 ha are irrigable. 
The district of Kushtia had significant contribution to Bangladesh Liberation War. A 147 member company of the 27th Baluch Regiment of Pakistan army reached Kushtia on 25 March 1971 from its base at Jessore cantonment. Although they initially captured the local police station and settled an outpost there, soon they faced a considerable resistance from a group of police, ansars, students and local people. By April 1, the Pakistany army was completely overpowered and the muktibahini took control of Kushtia. Later on April 17, 1971 the Bangladesh Government in-exile formally announced Proclamation of Independence at Baidyanathtala (re-named Mujibnagar after the proclamation), a border area in present Meherpur district, then a subdivision of Kushtia district. The Proclamation so announced in effect provided the fundamental instrument of law as well as an interim constitution of the mujibnagar government during the war of liberation, including that of the government in liberated Bangladesh until the adoption of the Constitution, made effective from 16 December 1972. Subsequently direct encounters between the Pakistan army and the rebels were held at many places of the district including Bangshitala at Kumarkhali, Daulatpur
After the independence of Bangladesh several different development projects were undertaken in the district of Kushtia. On November 22, 1979 the foundation stone of The Islamic University was laid at Shantidanga - Dalulpur under the districts of Kustia-Jhenidah. However, In 1982 the University was shifted to Gazipur and admission of students began in the session of 1985-86. Later on 10 January, 1990 the University re-shifted to its original site at Shantidanga Dulalpur. In 1984, two subdivisions of Kushtia: Chuadanga and Meherpur were named separate districts.
Kushtia District has an area of 1621.15 square kilometres and is bounded by Rajshahi, Natore, Pabna districts to the North, by Chuadanga, Jhenaidah districts to the South, by Rajbari District to the East, and by West Bengal and Meherpur District to the West.
Ganges, Gôrai, Mathabhanga, Kaligônga, and Kumar are the main rivers flowing through the district. The average high temperature is 37.8°C and the average low is 11.2°C. Annual rainfall averages 1,467 millimetres.
Historically, Kushtia was a larger district consisting of three subdivisions, each of which has now become a district. However, the peoples of these three districts, Chuadanga, Meherpur and Kushtia, share more than just a common past. Most notably, the dwellers of these districts, as the past inhabitants of an undivided Nadia district, speak a dialect remarkably close to what is now considered "standard" Bangla in both West Bengal and Bangladesh. Because of the great commonality between the three districts, they are often referred to as the Greater Kushtia District. Several organisations, such as the "Greater Kushtia Association" and "Greater Kushtia Society", are concerned with the welfare of the entire region.
Kushtia was created as a district in 1947 with the partitioning of India and the creation of Bangladesh. Initially, Kushtia consisted of the Kushtia Sadar (Kushtia City), Chuadanga and Meherpur subdivisions. Each of these subdivisions was later converted to a separate district for ease of management. Kushtia district consists of six upazilas as well with one police thana [islamic university] , five municipalities, 39 wards, 70 mahallas, 61 union parishads, 710 mouzas, and 978 villages. The upazilas are Kushtia Sadar, Kumarkhali, Daulatpur, Mirpur, Bheramara and Khoksa .
Kushtia District has a population of 1,713,224, of which 50.86% are male and 49.14% female. In terms of religion, 95.72% dwellers of Kushtia are Muslims, 4.22% follow Hinduism and others religions make up 0.06%.
Media:Example.ogg==Education== The average literacy rate of the district is 25.8%, with 30.9% of males and 48.35% of females considered literate.
Kushtia is home to the Islamic University; it also has the following educational institutions:
Other noted educational institutions include Mission Primary School (est. 1898),Khash Mathurapur High School (est. 1942), Kushtia Government University College (est. 1947), Kushtia Govt. Girls College, Kushtia Islamia College (est. 1968),Kushtia Govt. Commercial Institute Kushtia High School and Kushtia Zilla School (est. 1960), Bagoan Khirad Chanda Bidya Niketan,Halsa high school (est. 1972),Gosain Durgapur M/L High School(1860)
short information:: List of Information
One of Rabindranath Tagore's dwellings, the Kuthibari, is located at Shilaidah in Kumarkhali Upazila of the Kushtia district. He lived here for part of his life, and wrote many memorable poems there. Tagore built the Kuthibari as his office/residence, to collect revenue as a Zaminder, from local peasants. The Kuthibari is now a museum, and is cared for by the Archaeological Department of Bangladesh.
The shrine of Lalon Fakir, the founder of the Baoul faith is located at Cheouria, about 2km from the Kustia railway station.
Kushtia has become the country's centre for tobacco manufacturing, as the local weather allows the production of Virginia Tobacco. It has also a big commercial area named BISIC SHILPONOGORY, BRB is one of its famous brand.